Silver Metal Clay Day Workshop - Thursday 21st March (10.30am to 3.30pm)
Discover the magic of silver metal clay in this 5 hour workshop.
What is metal clay? Metal clay looks and feels like clay and can be moulded, modelled, rolled and textured just like clay. The clay is made with fine particles of pure silver mixed with a non-toxic organic binder and water. After firing with a torch or kiln, the clay particles burn off leaving real pure silver. Just like magic!
In the class you'll learn how to roll, shape, texture, cut out, embed gemstones, dry, refine, fire and polish silver metal clay and you can add a patina to your piece. You will also learn how to make a mould and create a moulded charm.
You'll get 10g of silver clay to make whatever you wish: earrings, charms, pendants. As a guide, 10g should make an average sized pendant and pair of earrings. Also included are two gemstones and sterling silver ear wires, jump rings and a chain depending on what you've made. Additional clay and gemstones can be purchased on the day.
At the end of the class you’ll have some lovely pieces of jewellery to take home and wear or give as a gift.
Silver clay can be used with minimal tools making it easy to do from home.
No experience is required and the class is suitable for beginners. Minimum age is 13 and under 18s must be accompanied by a paying parent or guardian.
How long is the class?
The length of the class is approx. 5 hours and includes a lunch break. Please bring a packed lunch or visit the Cornhill Village Shop which does lovely filled rolls, pastries and quiches if you'd like to pop in before the class starts. Please note that the class times are approximate and may run longer or shorter.
- Refreshments: tea/coffee/water & muffins made by our fabulous local shop. Please advise of any dietary requests or allergies at the time of booking and I will try to accommodate them.
- Use of all tools.
- 10g of silver clay and two gemstones. Ear wires, jump rings and a sterling silver chain if making a pendant. Extra silver clay/gemstones can be purchased on the day.
BY BOOKING THIS COURSE, YOU ARE AGREEING TO THE CANCELLATION POLICY AND ALL TERMS AND CONDITIONS LISTED HERE.
Interested in a private group booking?
Jewellery classes are a great activity for friends and family so if you would like to enquire about a private group booking, please click here and we can can schedule a date to suit you.
Silversmithing classes can accommodate 5 people and Silver Clay classes are larger at 6 people.
If the class is for a special occasion, a cake can be arranged at no extra cost.
- The workshop has disabled access. Please inform me at the time of booking so I can make sure this is clear.
- Toilets (including disabled) are available on site.
- Parking is on site and free.
- There will be an outside seated area for you to enjoy your refreshment break (weather permitting).
- Please click here for all class FAQ’s and class location.
- Please do not wear sandals or open toe shoes
- No loose clothing
- Long hair must be tied back
- Safety glasses and dust masks will be provided.
- If you wear reading glasses, please bring them with you.
- Aprons will be provided but please don’t come to class in your good clothes! Silversmithing can be a dirty business so be prepared to get grubby.